Power Writing for Business Leaders
Reader-Focused Planning Strategies to Enhance Writing Impact
Course Category: Communication & Negotiation
Writing proficiently with a clear reader-focus is a public measure of your leadership effectiveness. It showcases your ability to inform, enlighten, influence, and inspire readers to action.
This program employs a unique strategic approach to writing more
fluently as a business leader. You will learn to apply a reader-focused
mindset for planning, drafting, refining and evaluating documents.
Engaging in skill development exercises, you will gain proficiency as an
effective planner of writing strategies that address the needs of your
readers, and that capture their attention and commitment.
You will complete an online survey to identify your writing proficiency and learning goals.
Yes: This course qualifies towards the following certificate(s):
- Analyze your readership to ensure that the content and tone are appropriate
- Spend more time planning and less time rewriting, for increased writing efficiency and reader impact
- Assess the effectiveness and impact of your emails, letters, briefings, reports and other business documents
- Gain a clear writing purpose and focus
- Organize your thoughts logically and comprehensively into relevant ideas and details
- Apply "fast writing" techniques to create a quick first draft
- Refine your wording to be more clear, concise, compelling, current and courteous
- Become a more powerful leader and communicator by applying effective strategic planning and writing tactics for enhanced writing speed and fluency
- Components of an effective reader-focused message
- Achieving a reader-focused mindset: understanding your readers and how they read, appealing to individual reader styles, writing for multiple reader styles
- Using strategic thinking to plan your writing: identifying your writer's purpose, translating your message into a reader’s purpose
- Writing strategies and tactics: writing with impact to diverse readers, writing best practices, top tactics for creating powerful documents
- Overcoming writer’s block: mapping key ideas before you write, exploring patterns to determine your key components
- Fastwriting the first draft: getting your ideas on paper freely
- Fine-tuning your writing: applying the 5 C’s (clear, concise, consistent, cohesive, current), appealing to readers using the Gunning-Fog Index, energizing the message with language that calls the reader to action
In an interactive setting, you will work in groups to plan, draft and refine clear and concise messages for emails, letters, business briefings and reports. You’ll receive constructive feedback to help you craft convincing written messages that engage diverse readers.
You will also receive:
- Strategic planning templates
- Reader analysis checklist
- Business Writing resource book with tips
Dr. Gail Levitt
Gail is President of Levitt Communications Inc. An expert in interpersonal influence and performance management, she has consulted for major organizations including SNC-Lavalin, HSBC, Greenpeace and various government agencies. Acclaimed for her energetic, intuitive and motivating teaching style, she has taught and written extensively on issues pertaining to negotiations, leadership, team development, communication, business writing and creative problem solving.
Executives and business professionals who want to write with greater power and impact to a diverse readership.
800 Robson St
Directions, parking and hotel accommodation information can be found on our website at http://www.sauder.ubc.ca/exec_ed, under Contact Us.
Underground parking is accessed from Howe St at Nelson.